In 1870, the Maharaja of Vijaynagaram the first idea to start a medical school in Lucknow and offered to donate Rs 3 lacs, but lack of funds has been rejected by the government and the dream of Maharaja could not. It was in 1905, during the visit of the Prince of Wales to India, Raja Sir Jehangirabad and Taussuduq Rasool asked the Raja Sir James Ayodhya Latouche, Lieutenant Governor of United Provinces (aujourd Today Uttar Pradesh) recommended the establishment of medical college of the governor of India. This time, the government has its penalty, but only residents of the United Provinces increased by EUR 8 lakes.
The fundraising was completed in a few months remarkable contributions Balrampur Maharaj, Maharaj of Ayodhya, the Raja Jehangirabad, Rana Sheoraj Nawab Singh and Yusuf Ali. The Government of India was informed of the collection and the Prince of Wales laid the foundation stone on 26 December 1905 on land donated by the Government on the banks of the Gomti river, where ever the beautiful Macchi Bhawan. Lieutenant Governor Sir James Latouche was actively involved in planning this project. Sir Swinton Jacob, the famous architect designed the building in Indo-saracenic style, to blend naturally with the minarets and monuments of this "Nawabi city.
Lt Col CA Sprawson
The medical college was formally opened in October 1911, when His Majesty King George V and Queen Mary visited India and then by the Lieutenant Governor of United Provinces - Sir John Prescott Hewett. Each year since 1916, the "winner" of the final professional examination is awarded the "Medal Hewett" in honor of the man who opened the doors of college "Georgians." KS Dr. Nigam was the first medalist Hewett class. Col. Selby W was the first president and professor of surgery and Lt Col Sprawson CA was the first doctor. To begin with the entire faculty consists of 5 teachers and 2 teachers. On the advice of the General Medical Council of Great Britain, a set of records and training organized. Initially, the college was affiliated with the University of Allahabad.
A photograph of the Prince and Princess of Wales, with citizens of Oudh at the Foundation Ceremony of the Order.
The first hospital in the context of Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Medical University was built in 1914 and was named King George Hospital. The resources allocated to the Order could hardly be expected to cover the cost of a hospital on a scale comparable. Thus, this work has been undertaken by the Government of India. The building was redesigned by Sir Swinton Jacob, after a review of major medical centers in Europe and its adaptation to the needs of this country. It was ready in time for the clinical training of the first set of students in 1914. A 226-bed hospital was formally inaugurated by the Viceroy Lord Harding on January 10, 1914. In his speech the Viceroy of renewed confidence in the hope of the emperor that the King College and devices are the best in the East. "If the hospital, Major Selby has spent several months in England, the question of inspection of manufacturers and their equipment.
The first postgraduate examination in medicine and pathology occurred in 1918. The Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Medical University and the King George's Hospital were formally transferred by the University of Lucknow, in 1921, the establishment of the Lucknow University campus and was privileged to host the first meeting of the University on October 30, 1922. During 1931, the need was felt for a woman to the hospital. Queen Mary's Hospital in Shah Mina Road was built and officially opened on 4 November 1932 with a bed strength of 52. In 1951, a 3-storey building called Gandhi Memorial Hospital was built for medical cases with a bed strength of 144. It is here that the name of King George's Hospital was changed to Gandhi Memorial & Associated Hospitals. In 1955, a housing block of the Children's Hospital has been added. Another block was built for the Department of Surgery. The services of orthopedic surgery, E.N.T. and anesthesia were also made in the fifties. Specialty services in neurology, cardiology, psychiatry and plastic surgery in the seventies. The super-specialty surgical departments of urology, cardiac and vascular surgery and surgical oncology have been sculpted by the Department of Surgery in 1998.
During the years 1981 to 1992, college and hospital were taken over by the state government and all administrative control by the state government instead of the University of Lucknow. However, this return to
In 1956, the hospital must be selected by the Rockefeller Foundation for the establishment of a residency program and the funds were obtained for a 5-floor residents Hostel. The program is successfully implemented and this is emulated in all medical colleges of the state. In 1980, the college was chosen as the site for the creation of a Clinical Epidemiology Unit of the International Clinical Epidemiology Network. In 1991, the unit was officially opened and has been improved since the KGMC Institute of Clinical Epidemiology (KGMCICE).
A milestone in the history of this institution is the conversion and upgradation as Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Medical University. It was a decision taken on 16 September 2002 by the Government of Uttar Pradesh, under Chief Minister Mayawati Sushree. This is the only medical school in the north and one of these 3 universities in the country. Funds have been allocated to the new university. The 1st Vice-Chancellor of the University Prof KM Singh was followed in May 2003 by the appointment of Mr. Mahendra Bhandari Padmshri on this post. In December 2003, at the request of alumni and teachers, the historical name was restored and the new university came to be known as King George Medical University. However, in 2007, with the return of Sushree Mayawati as Chief Minister, the institution was again changed its name to Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Medical University.
Dental training at King George's Medical College was started originally as a wing of the Department of Dental Surgery in 1949. The BDS course has also started the same year, the teachers of a reader, teacher, demonstrator and 10 senior students. In 1951, he became a department of dentistry in a new Dental Hospital (now the old dental school building) with Prof TN Chawla as head of the department. In 1980, the service was extended to a Faculty of Dental Sciences 7 departments. A function of the Dean of the Faculty of Dentistry was established, which works with teachers, with an interval of 3 years. With the growing needs of the region for each specialty, another building in the Shah Mina Road near Queen Mary's Hospital was built and fully commissioned in the year 1986. The current dean is Dr. Suresh Chandra and previous deans are Prof. TN Chawla, Mr. NK Agarwal, Professor DS Gupta, Prof. CP Govil, Prof. KK Kapoor, Professor and Professor Satish Chandra Kapoor DN. At the end of 2003, upgradation of the Dental College in a new separate university was approved by the government. The new dental college was known as the University UP King George Dental Sciences. Prof. CP Govil was appointed first Vice-Chancellor. However, in 2007, under Chief Minister Mayawati, the Dental University is back in the Faculty of Dental Sciences in the framework of the Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Medical University.
With all these changes, and more on the anvil, the all-new university is to create in the new millennium with a renewed commitment, vigor and enthusiasm.
Visit the official site http://www.kgmcindia.edu/ for more information