Saturday, December 20, 2008

Essential English grammar - basic level 2

Rewrite the following passages, making any improvements that you think are necessary.

I. Fatima Bee was born and raised in Kalva village, one of India’s poorest village in Andhra Pradesh. Kalva comprises 500 families. When Fatima was 16, Fatima’s parents arranged for Fatima to be married. Four of Fatima’s children died before the children’s first birthday. In the village the men are considered to be sole breadwinners relying on fruit selling as the men’s main source of income.

II. My father is a wonderful magician. My father performs several tricks using the rope. My father ties the rope to a pole and after a few minutes make the rope and the pole disappear. My father has been a magician for more than a decade now.

The tricks are performed using a very long and thick rope.

Ruksana has little brother. Ruksana’s little brother is just five years old. Ruksana’s little brother goes to school. Ruksana’s little brother doesn’t like to go to school. Ruksana’s little brother cries at that time. The school is very near their house. Sometimes he comes running home. Ruksana’s likes to go to school. Ruksana is the best student in her class.

I took a bus. I went there. It was very far. It look a long time. We reached late. Everyone had left. I couldn’t meet anyone. I took a bus. I came back. I reached back around midnight.

Yesterday we went visiting our relatives. Our relatives live in another town. We traveled by train to that town. We spent our weekend without relatives. We ate lots of good food. We played many games. We enjoyed our trip and stay with our relatives.

Last week my friend decided to take me on a picnic. My fried took me to a resort. My friend chose a nice resort. My fried and I ate lots of food. My fried and I also played lots of games my fried and I had a very nice time.

Last week we decided to go on a picnic. We went to a nearby park. We chose a nice shady spot beside some trees in the park. We ate lots of food. We ate lots of food we also played game. We had a very nice time.

Yesterday my sister came to visit us. My sister is working in a company in the city. The city is more than 100 kilometers away. The city is big.

Camels are found in deserts. Camels are the largest animals found in deserts. Deserts have harsh, waterless environment. Camels are well suited to this harsh, waterless environment.

Father told me he was going to the railway station. Father was going to the railway station to receive his superior officer. Father’s superior was coming to visit us. His superior would be angry if father did not meet him at the station.

Pushpa was preparing a meal. Pushpa was preparing the meal for her guests. Then Pushpa get worried about some unusual mushrooms. A kind fried of hers had send Pushpa the mushrooms from her garden. Pushpa felt suspicious. So Pushpa gave a mushroom to her dog.

The most remarkable feature of an elephant is its trunk. The trunk is just a very long nose. You examine an elephant’s trunk. You will see that there are nostrils at the tip of the trunk. This is very similar to the nostrils you find at the end of the nose or snout of any other animal. We breathe through our nose. In the same way the elephant breathes through its trunk. The elephant’s trunk serves as hand also.

There are many poisonous snakes in the world. The kind cobra is the longest of all poisonous snakes in the world. The king cobra can reach lengths of 18 ft. The king cobra injects a log of venom in a single bite. The king cobra can kill an elephant in four hours a few snakes make nests. The king cobra is one of the few snakes which make a nest.

Nails are make of a substance called keratin. Keratin is the substance found in hair, horns and hoofs. Nails grow about 0.5 mm a week. Nails grow fast on the right hand in right handed people. Nails grow slow on the left in right-handed people. Nails grow fast on men. Nails grow slow on women.

No comments: